31 August, 2010

Popularity and other myths.

I've been thinking a lot lately...what excactly is it that attracts people to the great and good like bees to honey? For example, there are a disgusting amount of people in my school Year, who all look excactly the SAME; foundation, straightened hair, short skirts, high pitch voices, the necessary tales of their many sordid encounters, and of course that buzz that swamps all of them, and draws their followers in. I don't know what it is, and it's been playing on my mind rather a bit today; hell, does it really even exist? I think of these people as snake charmers, to their unwilling victims; as long as the right words, with the right degree of self-assurance and confidence, are spoken, the victims will succumb. God knows I'm NOT popular. I used to be; I think. In Infant School. Year 2 were my heydays. But from then on, it all slipped away. I mean, I have friends (sometimes). I have a lovely, lovely boyfriend and a thrilling repertoire of memories shared with the people that I love to keep me going. But I've never had what every other girl my age seems to have :) I've never been able to blag my way through each friendship, broadcast my bitchfights over the Internet etc. etc. I think that's a good thing though. I'm sick to death of every popular girl. Yes, you're popular. Yes, you have more friends, admirers and experience than me. But by jumping on the popularity bandwagon, you're just like everyone else. First, they wipe your mind and imagination clean, gather up your intuition, ambition and self-respect and throw them away. This deperesses me. The best a girl about my age can say now is, 'Urgh. I didn't put on ANY make-up today, I look like _________' (Fill in the blanks). Is this REALLY what teenage girls are reduced to? Dithering wrecks who can't go anywhere without perfect hair, too much makeup and the VERY LATEST music blaring in their ears. Where's the girl who reads too much, and listens to Marilyn Manson and Blink-182? The girls who is perfectly comfortable bumbling along, doing her own thing, and who's boyfriend is HER best friend? The one who doesn't care about fashion, music or actions, and merely does what makes her happy? Well, she's sitting at her laptop, writing this Blog Post as we speak. I know from experience, my readers, dear readers, that popularity really isn't all it's cracked up to be. And, despite its bland, superficial face, it really is quite vicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment