30 August, 2010

Three days and counting...

Ah, well here I am again, back in my humble wooden chair in my humble purple bedroom with my humble cup of coffee...
It is now officially three days (eerk) until we return to school, and for me, that means Year Nine; which subsequently means Mentoring, GCSE options, Science and RE GSCE's and Double or Triple Science selection. I am SO SCARED. Let's start with the easiest.
Mentoring- I was so happy when I got chosen to be a mentor at the end of Y8, because as far as I could tell, that meant helping out the little angels that were new to this big, bad school. Mmm. Not so much. I think the thing is, they don't like being patronised because they're young, dumb and full of 'enthusiasm' as my Dad very cleverly once put it :) no, they think that Mentoring is patronising, when in reality, without us, they would know nothing ;)
GCSE options- this isn't so bad...in October, I get to choose which subjects I would like to carry on with, and which I would like to drop, which does mean good things; I get to give up Geography and focus on History, I get to drop Music and focus on Art, I get to leave behind Dance and focus on Drama etc. etc. the list goes on. It should be a good opportunity to really apply myself like I know I need to, and obviously I will be keeping my blog updated so whichever poor souls are reading this utter drivel can see how I get on.
Science & RE GCSE's (Look!! More Ampersands!)- I'm now in an A* Science group, which is the projected mark I'm expected to get on my GSCE's. This also means that all four A* sets across Year Nine have to partake in a big written assessment in December, which determines (along with the level of homework, classwork, behavious in class and commitment) whether I get the Double Science or Triple Science course. I am, of course, aiming for Triple, since that would mean 3 GSCE's, and therefore a better record.
RE I'm not too worried about. Aside from the fact that we've had such Godawful (no pun intended) RE teachers for the past two years, and I've still done consistently well in my exams, I'm not worried; I can always blame the awful level of teaching for my bad marks :) and anyway, the only point of RE is to learn empathy. Whilst I might not always be tactful, or diplomatic, I am empathetic Goddammit! (Sorry...) and what's more, I don't plan to be going into a career which requires a fundamental belief in Him; a Jehovah's Witness is not, alas, on my agenda. For now...

Hopefully, after all this 'venting', I will look upon my forthcoming exams with a renewed sense of optimism, and comfidence. I don't think so...
But I have all of my school stuff ready (because I am oh SO responsible), and I shall set it out all neatly and nicely before the first day. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment