21 April, 2011

Famous because they're successful? Or successful because they're famous?

Lily Allen has started a clothing business of some sort with her sister-in-law and they're doing really rather well. This is because, what with the traumas Lily has faced over the past year, they ('they' being the frenzied, ravenous media) decided she could do with the PR, and therefore her business has had an awful lot of advertising for absolute free. MORE than free. SHE'S being paid; I should explain. ITV, I think it is, is shooting a reality series about Lily's new venture with her sister-in-law, their game plan, the way they both go about starting a business, and just basically all hte trials and tribulations the business faces and the way they are overcome. Now, unless I'm very much mistaken, Lily Allen was (and possibly still is) a very good singer/song-writer, and moreover one whom is rich and really rather powerful from it all. She is undeniably successful, and even though she isn't particularly appeasing to me, I can't deny the fact that she is very good at what she does; hence so many awards and nominations over the past years, and fantastic album and single sales. But why, excactly, does that get her so much free advertising? Because she's famous. Lily Allen has her own Wikipedia page (which is how you know when you've REALLY made it in life), almost 3mill. followers on Twitter and a Facebook page that is positively leaping off the screen with activity. Lily Allen is FAMOUS. And no matter how much we like or dislike it, being famous opens so many doors. People are much more likely to market a TV series on the new business venture of a former singer with 22 awards and a further 56 nominations under her belt, then, say, my Dad. Because no-one knows who my Dad is, really. I mean, he has friends, sure, (I hope...) but he's not famous. He's never been on TV, or met anybody overtly famous themselves. My Dad is lovely. But he's no Lily Allen. And so, the media won't go for him. Lily Allen will rake in the viewers a million apiece, and whilst I firmly resolve to watch any TV appearence my lovely Dad makes, not many other people will. Certainly not half the country, every other weeknight.

1 comment: