01 April, 2011

Millie and religious songs.

I'm at my best friend's house! Yay, best friend! ^.^ Woo. I like that title, it makes me feel special on the inside. Millie Stonebridge IS really rather special actually. She's funny, kind, amazingly caring and patient, always there to listen when you need her, and although I lament the fact that I've only known her a mere month, that past month has simply been a foresights into what lies ahead. This friendship will stand the many tests of time, growing-up and education, I'm sure on it. If, for whatever reason, we do fall apart, then at least I can say that our times together were always good :) she is the kind of girl who makes me want to be a better person, keep my room tidy and be kinder to my teachers. Also, when I'm writing a blog post and I know she's listening as I read whilst I write (very deadpan), it makes writing somehow instantly easier, and the words just flow off the tip of my tongue. She is inspiring, even more so that any of Da Vinci's muses or Jilly Cooper's heroines. I believe that one girl has the power to change the way we all think for good; with her stunning looks, amazing personality and easy, loping grace, why not let it be Millie? Changing the subject swiftly, and rather randomly, I attempt to illustrate a topic that has been playing on my mind for rather a few days now; hymns, especially at school. In Junior School, as I went to one middle-class Junior, in one of the many suburbs of Berkshire, my school personally did not have a wide range of religions to cater for; the majority was CofE, interspirsed with a few Catholics; I don't quite know what the teachers' personal religious preferences were, but I do know that my teacher of two yeafrs, Mrs. Bowden, was a Christian, and led most R.E lessons with ease. It's interesting, looking back on your primary years with eyes afresh. I think that if I was back in my Junior school now, three years on, give or take, then I might just find everything to be wrong. For primary example, the fact that every single day, without fail, we would have an Asembly. It would average about half an hour, and the years 3-5 would sit on the floor (3's at the front, 5's at the back, 4's in between), whilst the Year 6's would be privileged enough to sit on benches at the back of the hall. There would be a blank screen dragged down before every congregation; I say congregation, because that is what it was. We would sing hyms, like 'Sing Hosanah', 'One More Step Along The World I Go' and 'The Animals Went In By Two, By Two', all about God and Jesus being Saviours, all about the Bible teaching us the ways of life, and we would be read passages from the Bible itsself. Now, I'm not a Christian myself; I don't believe in God. However, it really riles me that these teachers evidently thought it prudent to foist THEIR beliefs on US, and WE, being innocent 8-11 year-olds, thought no better than to question it. We were YOUNGER, we didn't really have a special preference. But I feel a bit cheated; I feel like the whole religion, God-bothering thing, was sprung on me when I was too little to do anything about it! You would neer get a Year Five going to the Head's office, telling them that they tohughts Religion was a load of Bull and that if they didn't get removed from each Assembly, they would protest with a violation of their Civil Rights. Now, I know that's a cliche, BUT how unfair is it that all across the country, and in different countries too, I'm sure, we never get a choice in singing God's praises (literally), even if we're not overtly religiou, or haven't made up our minds yet! It's UNFAIR.

2 comments:

  1. if it's a CoE school, you expect this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. you said you'd write one about me :'(
    Rose Hershaw

    ReplyDelete