10 December, 2011

"Facebook is a waste of time". Do you agree?

In some cases, yes, I agree with this statement. One reason is because I've done scarce amounts of homework this week, due to being ensconced in numerous conversations, discussions, arguements, general banter, etc. etc. Another key reason why Facebook could be considered a waste of time is because fundamentally, you are using your free time, (which in my case is also scarce and therefore precious) in an unproductive way. For example, how long does it take to post something on someone's Wall, to check and reply to, messages? How long does it take to check and reply to, notifications? To needlessly envelope yourself in the cyber-world of the wicked? Because, Facebook is the battlefield where morals stand as spectators, where the warriors are us, faceless, nameless and ultimately blameless. Recovery systems ain't what they used to be, get some clever hacking in place and no-one ever knows the things you've said. This leads me on to my final point, of the fact that Facebook is a breeding ground for the insecure and the hard-hearted to unleash their criticisms, their petty hatred, amongst the rest of us. To make us feel doubtful, and to contemplate our own natures and tendencies. Facebook makes you think, and confront your innermost demons, in a way that a face-to-face discussion never could. Well, not nowadays, anyway.

Notwithstanding the above, I also believe that Facebook is about the most productive way to spend your free time, and your not-so-free time, in some cases. My first reason for this statement being, that Facebook brings you closer. Two of my very best friendships to date started, blossomed and evolved on Facebook. Some relationships ended, but new ones began, spurred on by the comfort offered so readily, by those I did not deserve it from. Another reason, is that Facebook gives you confidence. For example, this time last year, I did not dare post a picture of myself online, partly due to the unfair comments, and partly due to the fact that I just had no self-assurance. But now? Every 'like' or nice comment posted on a photo, or my profile, fills me with an undoubtedly conceited glow, but furthermore, a bright, illuminating one. I feel as though I can do anything, with these people behind me. People who would support me, catch me if I fell. New friends, and old accquaintences alike, all of which mean something different, but equally important and special. And finally? Facebook helps me. It helps me to help others. It helped me to stop a girl from purging the food and nutrients her body so desperately needed. It helped me to get a boy to admit he had a problem, to share my own experiences, and give him help as he was too scared to ask for it in person. It helped me to spread a message, across the entire database, in just one day, that everyone is beautiful. It got me known, for helping people, for helping anyone and everyone. No judgement, no influence, no preaching. Just honest advice, and comfort where lonliness is rife.

To conclude, Facebook is about the best thing I could possibly own right now. Being a teenager, a lot goes on beneath the surface that everyone but your keyboard is unaware of. So, please don't take it away.

2 comments:

  1. Unless you happen to reside on Giligans Island still, time on facebook is really not needed. I purposely mispelled G Island to see if anyone will notice it. Same with Facebook, anything I posted prior to cardboarding the account gained very little responce from others. Get out, and enjoy life the way it is meant to be lived. dr

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fair enough, but when you're a teenager, so much evil is propelled onto Facebook; I should know, I've had firsthand expreience. But it's purely a way of measuring up the losses and gains of owning a Facebook account; a personal balance-sheet, if you will.

    ReplyDelete